The Weight Loss Trials

Sunday, October 16, 2011

"We're going to check your thyroid..."

I had a visit with the doctor Friday. According to eevrything, I'm burning an average 14,000 calories a week from running, hitting the weights and playing tennis. Somehow, I'm not losing weight.

Dr. Williams mostly said the obvious: My heart's in great shape, but I need to get my blood pressure down. He also advised checking me for diabetes. Big whup. My dad had it, and every new doctor seems shocked when my test comes back OK.

Then, he told me my thyroid could be holding the weight loss at bay.

I went a whole week recently without bread and cheese, eating chicken, and salads, and chicken salads. I even thought about going vegan as an extreme. This time around, dropping even five pounds has been hell.

My body can't take it. I can't take it.

I find myself trying to fit in a few more seconds of a workout when I should be getting ready for work.

The problem is I don't see it translating anywhere. Then I ride through the Burger King drive-thru. That'll teach my stupid body!

Unfortunately, it's only affecting me.

In a way, learning my thyroid needs to be controlled would be welcome news. I know I'm 30 this time, as opposed to 26, but what's really the big difference? But it also means I'm getting older, and I'm gonna have to leave myself open to those nagging things old people do. Watching my cholesterol. Using low sodium salt. Buying prunes to keep myself regular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home